Press releases don’t always give the full picture of the author’s personality. so, for this blog, I’ve decided to share 25 random facts about myself you will not find in any press release or hear in any interview.
Each fact is personal, and true.
- I’m anal about my coffee. I like it white, extra hot, and with no froth.
- To me, a house without books and music feels empty and cold.
- The first book I remember reading on my own was ‘The adventures of Tom Sawyer’. I stayed up all night to finish it.
- The first two vinyl albums I bought were Madonna’s ‘Like a Virgin’ and Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’. I still have both.
- My first concert was Duran Duran at the Entertainment Centre. I was 14 and still new to Australia. INXS sat 2 rows behind me & I remember thinking Michael Hutchins was shorter than he looked on TV.
- I have little time for people who are insincere.
- I love snow. I love Skiing. I hate the cold. That might sound like a contradiction, but it’s not!
- I met my husband in my first year of university. I thought he looked 15. We were both 18. The second time I saw him, I didn’t remember his name.
- When he met me, my husband thought I’d be the last person he’d want to date. The second time we met, he was convinced we’d never date. We started dating 6 months later and have been together for 28 years, 22 of those married.
- My husband still makes my heart race.
- When I’m invited to someone’s house for the first time, I look through their book and CD collection before deciding to invite them back.
- I sleep through Symphony Orchestras and have vivid dreams.
- My parents inspire me. They are the most courageous and generous people I know.
- Motherhood changed me in ways I did not think possible.
- I meditate when running. More recently I’ve swapped running for Bikram Yoga because of injuries.
- At 21 I went on P&O Fairstair with six girls and took my Accounting textbooks.
- At my local gym, I get into trouble almost every week for talking during Circuit class.
- I read two books at a time – one fiction and one non-fiction so as not to confuse the plot lines.
- I was 12, my brother 9 when our family fled Iran. I left my home taking only my walkman and my 2-volume hardcover set of ‘Gone with the Wind’ which I had to leave on the mountains because it was too cumbersome to carry.
- We arrived in Sydney August 1982. In August ’83 we opened our first bookstore in Sydney and grew it to own five. I’ve been selling books since I was 14 and still get excited when New Releases hit the store.
- My family accuse me of singing out of tune, a point I passionately dispute.
- I laugh loud and often.
- My parents killed my love affair with shopping by taking me to Singapore for 10 days.
- In supermarkets I read gossip magazines waiting in the queue. E-News is a guilty pleasure.
- I consider myself extremely fortunate to have been twice published. Both times, as the leading title.
Till next time…